Thursday, March 6, 2008

I don't know how to "live"


So much of my life is a quest to get "ready" to live, you know? I mean, I expend a lot of energy just thinking about what to cook and eat, what to wear, what to drive, all the neccessary gear etc. The work of maintenance can become and end unto itself for me sometimes. If I can just get a place for everything and then everything in its place... but then what?? (assuming that were to ever happen)
Well, yesterday we picnicked at the beach. Rafferty was sick with a cold, ready for a nap, not eating, and he said "I want to lay down on you" so I picked him up and rocked him on my shoulder and listened to the waves and thought to myself, right now in this moment I'm really feeling something beyond frustration and urgency. I'm enjoying my son needing me. I'M LIVING.

1 comment:

Julana said...

That is really inspiring!! It helps us mothers who feel that surviving is the only thing we are doing.