Monday, May 5, 2008

The "art of living"


This month's MOPS e-mail started with a quote:
"The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children." - Elain Heffner

WHOAH! I totally disagree, or at least according to my own experience of mothering. I would have to reword it to say that I have LEARNED the art of living FROM my children. Especially my rascally Rafferty. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I often feel as though I don't know "how" to live. You know- after the dishes are all done and the laundry's put away (that work-then-play mentality that I thrive on)?
Rafferty will put a hula-hoop between the couch cushions just to jump though it. He'll sit down on a blanket beside the baby in the middle of the floor just to jump up a second later and rush off the his next point of distraction. If he went by his first name, we'd call him Distractable Dan. And while many see that as a downfall, I say How Beautiful! How beautiful that his mind is OPEN to his world. Praise the Lord for his uninhibitedness. For a few short years I will relish his enjoyment of his own ideas until he becomes a "responsible adult" like me (he he).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog, from your Mom. Just keep enjoying those boys! Auntie Carol