Monday, November 12, 2007

Cloth Diapers


So my big purchase for the day was $20 for 14 used cloth diapers on craigslist from a lady in Lakeland! I have been actually obsessed with the whole re-usable diaper idea for days now. I told Wes that all night I dreamed about diapers!! So these aren't really the BEST ones, just a super good deal even if I only use them a little bit. Plus it seems like they'll fit right away and I don't want to spend a lot on what he's just going to grow out of in a couple months. So these are the fitted cloth diapers that require a cover, and I have four because we had a diaper service for Benny at first. Eventually I want to switch to the All-in-Ones that don't require the waterproof cover because it's all in one :) My favorite brands for that so far are BumGenius, BabyLove, and BumKins - great names, right? Some are one-size that you have to adjust as they grow. Some are fitted, but then you have to keep buying each size. Some are snap, some are velcro. It's ALL better than what our parents had to do with us, I know that. I have three reasons for TRYING going cloth this time:
1. save money, or course.
2. softer/natural for baby's bottom
3. better for the Environment
Get this. A diaper takes at least 500 yrs to decompose. The average child uses 6000 before becoming potty-trained. If I use the right soap, there'll be no harm to the earth, just a little extra energy comsumption, and that will cost a tad bit more, but nothing like the cost of disposables every week. Just a little more elbow grease for me - I can handle it. Especially if it means we'll have extra money for something I rather have that 6000 diapers that I can't even keep!

1 comment:

Julana said...

Cool! They look tiny. Did you know that the lady emailed me back and told me that the diapers were still available...i was expecting her to call me. Oh well, i missed them.