
I believe that I have a problem allowing my children to experience life. I preach Love and Logic but when it comes right down to it I'm the mom that says, "Remember your backpack, remember your backpack, remember your backpack..." Now that Benny goes to school I find myself trying extra hard to shield him from any discomfort, but I rob him of the independence that he's truly ready to embrace. I rush around like a mad woman each morning getting myself and three kids ready so I can walk him to the door of his classroom when he'd be just fine running in from the car with me in slippers and the little ones still in jammies. I mean, for goodness sakes, his teacher is my aunt and his principal is my husband! Theoretically I would let go of CONTROL and instead value COMMUNICATION so that I know what's going on in his world when I'm not around, and also EMPOWERMENT so that he has the confidence and tools he needs to stand up to hard times that I can't shield him from anyway. Realizing my limits takes a lot of pressure off, because (let's all chant the mantra together now) "I'm not Superwoman!"
2 comments:
Tanya - I love how you think! Thanks for the reminder to LET GO ---- no matter what stage of life you're in! I'm cheering you on!
Yay - thanks for the comment :)
Post a Comment