Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Like MOPS

Today was MOPS week again. I swear, it feels like just a few days ago that I last attended MOPS, but here it is now two weeks later again. Time flies in a scary sort of way lately. I feel a sense of urgency to appreciate every moment before it is a distant memory, or worse yet, forgotten. Also, a sense of urgency to do everything perfectly now while the boys are young. But that's not possible I know. I'm kind of in survival mode right now, taking it day by day, or actually moment by moment - not really thinking long-term. Funny, though. I was telling a friend today about how it's almost comforting to care for a newborn. Their needs are all physical. While Timmy's demands are very intense and time-consuming, they're also very doable for me because I can meet them. It doesn't take a lot of emotional maturity or stamina to nurse a baby, while it can be impossible to predict what the next demand of a toddler or 5-yr-old will be. Actually, my greatest demander lately is my 2 year old. Partly cuz he's 2, and partly because of what the guy talked about at MOPS today: Birth Order, as it relates to marriage and parenting. Though I was born third, I take on mainly firstborn traits becuase I'm the first GIRL. Because of this I very much relate then to my own firstborn and his perspective of life. I just don't GET Rafferty like Wes does. "Never parent alone," the guys said thismorning. I agree.
"How many in this room are raising kids?" he asked. Of course we all raised our hands. "No," he said. "I hope you're all raising adults." He went on to say that the best time to judge our success as parents is when our children are around 30. "You often feel like a failure when they're two," he said.
I just remembered today something funny Benny said a while back. We were all sitting together at the table having a gourmet dinner of cold cereal and soymilk. I was nursing Timmy. Benny wanted to know if I was giving him soymilk or cow's milk?!! Hmm, would I rather consider myself a bean or a cow?

1 comment:

Julana said...

That is real cute (benny).

It is a long time to wait to see if your parenting is any good! I guess it would be too late to change your style then :).